The foundation of a strong Catholic school is the support it receives from its volunteers. There are a wide variety of volunteer opportunities available at SPPS.
Parent volunteers offer a huge resource and support base for the school community while showing their kids the importance of participating in the larger community.
Not only will the school reap the benefits of your involvement — you will, too. By interacting with teachers, administrators, and other parents on a regular basis, you’ll gain a firsthand understanding of your child’s daily activities. You’ll also tap into trends and fads of school life that can help you communicate with your kids as they grow and change (all without intruding on their privacy or personal space).
In the school or classroom
- Assist teachers with copying and other projects
- Give Accelerated Reader tests to students
- Assist the reading specialist and students with Great Leaps reading program (volunteers will receive training)
- Be a driver/chaperone on field trips
- Assist with annual uniform exchange
- Serve as a lunchroom monitor
Serving on boards or committees
- Represent your feeder parish or be an “At-Large” member of the SPPS Council
- Serve as an officer or member of the Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO)
- Serve on the Development, Finance, or Facilities Committee
Volunteers are needed to organize and assist with fundraising projects and events. Some of these events include Fall Festival, Annual Mardi Gras, UK Raffle, Field Day, etc.
The safety and well-being of our students is of the utmost importance. All new volunteers are required to complete the Volunteer Application and return to the school office. Once your application has been approved you will then need to complete “Safe Haven – It’s Up to You” online training program. Please note, you cannot continue with your volunteer certification until we have your volunteer application on file.
To complete the program:
- Complete and return to the school office the Volunteer Application
- Go to cdlex.org
- Click on CMG Connecton the right on side of the homepage
- Create your account/login and begin to walk through the pre-set steps
“Safe Haven-It’s Up to You” is composed of three on-line videos followed with questions after each. The training takes approximately 60 minutes. The program does not require follow-up monthly bulletins. Re-certification training will be automatically offered every three years to incorporate new information and perspectives. The “Safe Haven-It’s Up to You” online program through Catholic Mutual will replace the existing VIRTUS program. Anyone who has been screened and trained previously in VIRTUS will be grandfathered into the new program and will only be required going forward to participate in the three year certification module.
Through the CMG Connect site you will also be able to complete the background check and electronically sign the Code of Conduct, and Technology Code of Conduct. You cannot volunteer until the background check has been processed and approved and you have completed the other modules of the certification.
The school is always open to new fundraising ideas! If you have an idea and are interested in helping, please contact President Jeanne Miller through the form below.