Sts. Peter & Paul Regional Catholic School
JOB TITLE: One-to-One Teaching Assistant
RESPONSIBLE TO: Lead Kindergarten Teacher
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: One-to-One TA to work with Kindergarten-aged student with Down Syndrome
HOURS: 7:30 am – 11:30 pm, Monday-Friday (20 hours per week)
PAY RATE: $15.00/hr
Education and Experience
Minimum: High school diploma, one year of experience as a teacher or teaching assistant with special needs students. Prefer: Two-year degree in Early Childhood Education and two years experience as a teacher or teaching assistant with special needs students.
Must have patience, love, compassion and appreciation for full inclusion of a special needs student within a traditional classroom environment.
Job Description and Primary Functions
Duties include one-on-one supervision and support of all in-class instructional and non-instructional activities.
To assist in promoting the learning and personal development of the pupil to whom you are assigned, to enable him/her to make best use of the educational opportunities available to them.
To aid the pupil to learn as effectively as possible both in group situations and on his/her own by, for example:
- Clarifying and explaining instructions
- Ensuring the pupil is able to use equipment and materials provided
- Motivating and encouraging the pupil as required by providing levels of individual attention, reassurance and help with learning tasks appropriate to pupil’s needs
- Assisting in weaker areas, e.g. speech and language, reading, spelling, numeracy, handwriting/presentation etc.
- Support with the pupil’s self-care
- Using praise, commentary and assistance to encourage the pupil to concentrate and stay on task
Email letter of interest and resume to Mr. John Pica, Principal, Sts. Peter & Paul Regional Catholic School (firstname.lastname@example.org)